G-Star RAW launches its most sustainable jeans ever! This jean has been developed with the first denim fabric in history to be Cradle to Cradle Certified at the Gold Level by the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute, the most rigorous certification process in the world. By carefully analyzing each part of the denim design process and exploring all possibilities to reduce the environmental impact at every step, the G-Star Elwood RFTPi jean breaks new grounds in sustainable denim manufacturing.
Lewis Perkins, president of the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute, presented Pharrell Williams, Head of Imagination at G-Star RAW, with the Cradle to Cradle Gold certification on January 31st in Los Angeles.
“Achieving Cradle to Cradle certification at the Gold level for the denim fabric used in the G-Star Elwood RFTPi jean is a significant leap forward for circular fashion. G-Star’s work with DyStar and Artistic Milliners on the development of the fabric is also a great example of materials innovation and collaboration at its most impactful. G-Star’s decision to share the fabric within the Cradle to Cradle Product Innovation Institute’s Fashion Positive Materials Library stands to be a game-changer for the fashion industry – allowing others to use the same Cradle to Cradle Certified fabric opens the door to an infinite number of applications for this material.” – expressed Lewis Perkins, President, Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute.
Pharrell explained in his own words: “It’s a great honor to receive this recognition to create a sustainable future. We hope that the rest of the denim industry will follow in our mission to reduce the impact of human beings on the planet.”
How the G-Star Elwood RFTPi jean was made:
- The cleanest indigo dyeing process in the world. G-Star RAW collaborated with DyStar to combine pre-reduced indigo with a liquid based organic agent that replaces the regular use of Sodium Hydrosulphite – a major problem in indigo dyeing. This pioneered perhaps the most radical change to the indigo dyeing process since its industrialisation, using 70% less chemicals, 15% less indigo, no salts and producing no salt by-product during the reduction and dyeing process. Consequently, this saves water and leaves clean and recyclable water effluent.
- The most sustainable washing techniques, responsibly made. G-Star worked with long-standing partner Saitex to make and wash the garments with utmost care for people and the environment. By employing sustainable technologies and renewable energies, 98% of the water will be recycled and re-used and the other 2% will evaporate naturally. Not one drop of water is wasted or discharged into the local environment.
- 100% organic cotton. Using cotton which is grown without synthetic fertilizers and toxic pesticides sustains and improves the health of soil, ecosystems and society as a whole.
- Eco-finished buttons, making each garment 98% recyclable. When recycling denim, the top block is often discarded as it is too complicated to remove the zippers and rivets from the denim. Therefore, G-Star replaced all rivets and zippers with eco-finished metal buttons. In addition, all labeling and carton packaging is responsibly sourced.
- Open-Source access for the entire denim industry: The Cradle to Cradle Certified™ at Gold level sustainable fabric development process can be accessed and used by anyone through the Cradle to Cradle Institute’s Fashion Positive Materials library.
The G-Star Elwood RFTPi jeans, together with its counterpart the D-Staq RFTPi denim jacket, will be available for both men and women in stores and online from February 15.